Another big day for the project car. We installed a few items today.
First thing was the shift weight:
At the first autocross, I had to hold the shift lever in second gear in all braking zones after the first run when it popped out twice. So this was a necessity. As you can see, the COBB weight is much smaller than the factory weight. Shifting did not get near as notchy as I remember it when we first designed it. So win and win.
Next up was a combination of parts. The Cobb SF Intake and Turbo Inlet Hose. It doesn’t make sense to do one without the other. So we did them both. It is a much bigger pain in the ass on the Speed3 than it was on the Speed6. But very similar. All of today’s fun I tried to make the wife do all the work. This was nice in theory, but I did have to get dirty a couple times helping her out. The worst part about the install was sliding the intake silicone onto the metal joint in the turbo inlet hose. That little metal joiner is so thin and sharp I cut the silicone like a half inch deep at a weird angle through all 6 layers of silicone. It sucked. But should function fine still. We ended up pulling out the battery box just to make it all a bit easier and that was an extra 5 minutes very well spent.
And for the final install of the day, the COBB AccessPort. I went with the new fancy version.
That’s right, the wife gets a nicer AP than me. And it has the fancy blue faceplate she loves so much. And because Mazda is way cooler than Subaru, they put the OBD port in an actual handy location, so it may get used for the gauges more often than mine does.
And here it is coming back from a test drive. One happy driver because she now has the whistle of the turbo.
Also worth noting is that you need to make sure all coilover locking rings are nice and tight. Clunking is now gone 🙂